Sunday, July 15, 2012

Tex-Mex And Peas: Peas Part 2


Fig.1. The peas add another flavor dimension to the tacos. I like sour cream, chopped green onions and Frank's Red Hot on my tacos. I got the Frank's 'Think' Red Hot in my publi-sac, I put that shit on everything.

I really don't want this post to sound like I'm trying to 'trick' your kids into eating something nutritious. I never agreed with that approach. Kids, from a very young age, need to know exactly what they're eating: be it broccoli, rapini, zucchini, tomatoes, Brussel sprouts or peas; tell your kids what vegetables and fruits they're eating. Give them young ones enough credit, they will like their vegetables. Don't buy into the pre-disposed assumption that 'kids hate vegetables'. That's just the product of television and city-urban legends. News-Flash: children who live on farms eat their vegetables.
That being said, adding peas to tacos works; like I mentioned in my previous post, the peas add another flavor dimension to the dish, and if the peas are deep enough in the taco, your kids won't be able to pick them pesky peas out.

Hard Shell Tacos With Peas
Serves 4 (2 tacos each)

Ingredients:
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large onion, diced
1 kilo lean minced meat
1 cup fresh peas
3 smoked chilpotle peppers in adobe sauce, chopped (I make my own, but I also like to use San Marcos, see picture below)
1 small can, or 1 cup pureed tomatoes
Tex Mex spices, add to your tastes (I like my pre-made blends at Spice Station or Olives et Epices.)

Direction:

Heat the olive oil in a large pan set over medium heat. Add the onions and saute until translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.  Add the meat and cook until no longer pink, make sure you break up the meat well. Add the peas, chilpotle peppers, pureed tomatoes, and spices and cook until it all comes together, 5 minutes.

Serve the meat in warmed shells (or soft tortillas if hard shells aren't your thing) and garnish with whatever you like.

Fig.2. These peppers are awesome.  I use them in all my Tex-Mex recipes, in my ribs, and in various other BBQ applications.


No comments: