Monday, July 9, 2012

Garlic in The Blood



My Great Grandmother, Nonna Pina, believed that garlic was good for the blood.  If me or one of my cousins became sick, she'd load us up with garlic.  Till this day, when I feel a cold coming on, I head straight to Marathon and load up on tzatiki.  Who wants a kiss?
Nonna Pina was on to something. Garlic has been proven in helping people with high blood pressure and also helps boost the immune system.
Fresh Garlic, garlic leaves, and garlic shoots are now in abundance at any farmer's market. Forgo the dried garlic for a few weeks and use the fresh stuff.  I like to puree some garlic and freeze it, when I need to make a soffrito of any kind, I throw some in the pan.

Pureeing and Freeing Fresh Garlic.


Chop the garlic in small pieces and simply puree using a hand blender or a regular blender.  Place mashed garlic in ice cube trays and freeze. Once frozen, pop them out and store in a freezer bag. When needed, simply dd the frozen garlic cubes into a hot pan with oil or butter. The garlic will keep for 3 to 4 months.


No comments: