Friday, December 25, 2009

Fresh Ricotta with Chopped Mint



Fig.1. Many Italian grocery stores carry ricotta like this during the holiday season--I bought this one at Charcuterie Noel in Montreal North. It's a lot of cheese but it will keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge.



Sometimes Christmas does feel like a lot of work. Planning, shopping and transporting stuff in and out of the car gets rather tiresome. Cooking has always been a respite of sorts for me—finding refuge from external strife while I plan my menus, flip through cookbooks, and finally cook the meals is something I always look forward to and enjoy doing. This year was no different, but I decided to take my own advice this year and keep it simple. Thinking this "easy" approach toward entertaining would please my wife, she instead looked at me with her usual, “God help me look” and walked away with no faith in her husband. Well, it turns out she was right: I did keep it simple, but I overcompensated, I ended up making enough food to feed the next cast of The Biggest Loser on a rebound. I froze a lot of stuff, all of the cheese and cold cuts are coming with me to my mother’s house, (20 hungry Italians is a great solution to excess leftovers.) And more leftovers will go to feed yet another dinner party being held here in a couple of days.

I want to acknowledge all of the Holiday wishes I’ve received by wishing all of you a very Merry Christmas in return, and again, thank you for reading, commenting and cooking.


Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Fresh Ricotta with Chopped Mint

Here’s a recipe that showcases fresh ingredients and properly redefines “fast food”. Ricotta like this is available this time of the year only. (Although it can be special ordered the rest of the year) My first thought was to add some red peppercorns but quickly changed my mind after tasting it. Chopped mint, salt, pepper and a good olive oil is all it needed.






Fig.2. I mix the salt pepper and mint, then sprinkle some more mint over top and drizzle with olive oil. I have also made it with anchovies over top with great results.

No comments: